Full Specifications & Features
- CAMERA TYPE
- Interchangeable lens digital camera
- LENS MOUNT
Size & Weight
- WEIGHT (MAIN UNIT ONLY) (approx.)
- 715 g (1 lb 9.3 oz) (with battery and memory card included), 640 g (1 lb 6.6 oz) (body only)
- WEIGHT (INCLUDING SUPPLIED ACCESSORIES) (approx.)
- 1.015 kg (2 lb 3.8 oz) (with XLR Handle, battery pack, SD card)
- DIMENSIONS (W X H X D) (INCLUDING SUPPLIED ACCESSORIES) (approx.)
- 1.015 kg (2 lb 3.8 oz) (with XLR Handle, battery pack, SD card)
- DIMENSIONS (W X H X D) (BODY WITHOUT PROTRUSIONS) (approx.)
- 129.7 mm x 77.8 mm x 84.5 mm (5 1/8 x 3 1/8 x 3 3/8 inches) (body without protrusions)
- POWER CONSUMPTION
- [Movie] Approx. 7.3W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), [Still image] Approx. 3.4W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- BATTERY OPERATING TIME
- Approx. 95 min (Actual recording, CIPA standard) , Approx. 135 min (Continuous recording, CIPA standard), Approx. 580 shots (still images, CIPA standard)
- OPERATING TEMPERATURE
- 0°C to 40°C, 32°F to 104°F
- STORAGE TEMPERATURE
- -20°C to +55°C, -4°F to +131°F
Recording Format (Video)
- XAVC HS
- [XAVC HS 4K] XAVC HS 4K 59.94p/50p 200Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265, XAVC HS 4K 59.94p/50p 150Mbps 4:2:0 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265, XAVC HS 4K 59.94p/50p/23.98p 100Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265, XAVC HS 4K 59.94p/50p 75Mbps 4:2:0 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265, XAVC HS 4K 59.94p/50p 45Mbps 4:2:0 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265, XAVC HS 4K 23.98p 100Mbps 4:2:0 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265, XAVC HS 4K 23.98p 50Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265, XAVC HS 4K 23.98p 50Mbps 4:2:0 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265, XAVC HS 4K 23.98p 30Mbps 4:2:0 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265, XAVC HS 4K 119.88p/100p 280Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265, XAVC HS 4K 119.88p/100p 200Mbps 4:2:0 10bit MPEG-H HEVC / H.265
- XAVC S
- [XAVC S 4K] XAVC S 4K 59.94p/50p 200Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S 4K 59.94p/50p 150Mbps 4:2:0 8bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S 4K 29.97p/25p 140Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S 4K 23.98p 100Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S 4K 29.97p/25p/23.98p 100Mbps 4:2:0 8bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S 4K 29.97p/25p/23.98p 60Mbps 4:2:0 8bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S 4K 119.88p/100p 280Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S 4K 119.88p/100p 200Mbps 4:2:0 8bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, [XAVC S HD] XAVC S HD 59.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p 50Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S HD 59.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p 50Mbps 4:2:0 8bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S HD 59.94p/50p 25Mbps 4:2:0 8bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC HD 29.97p/25p 16Mbps 4:2:0 8bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S HD 119.88p/100p 100Mbps 4:2:0 8bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S HD 119.88p/100p 60Mbps 4:2:0 8bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264,
- XAVC S-I
- [XAVC S-I 4K] XAVC S-I 4K 59.94p 600Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S-I 4K 50p 500Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S-I 4K 29.97p 300Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S-I 4K 25p 250Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S-I 4K 23.98p 240Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, [XAVC S-I HD] XAVC S-I HD 59.94p 222Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S-I HD 50p 185Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S-I HD 29.97p 111Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S-I HD 25p 93Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, XAVC S-I HD 23.98p 89Mbps 4:2:2 10bit MPEG-4 AVC / H.264,
Recording Format (Audio)
- RECORDING FORMAT (AUDIO)
- LPCM 2ch (48kHz 16bit), LPCM 2ch (48kHz 24bit), LPCM 4ch (48kHz 24bit), MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
Recording Frame Rate
- XAVC HS
- [XAVC HS 4K] 3840x2160/119.88p, 100p, 59.94p, 50p, 23.98p
- XAVC S
- [XAVC S 4K] 3840x2160/119.88p, 100p, 59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, [XAVC S-I HD] 1920x1080/59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p
- XAVC S-I
- [XAVC S-I 4K] 3840x2160/59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, [XAVC S-I HD] 1920x1080/59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p,
- XAVC HS
- [XAVC HS 4K] 59.94p/50p 200M When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 85 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 40 minutes, 59.94p/50p 150M When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 110 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 55 minutes, 59.94p/50p 100M When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 170 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 80 minutes, 59.94p/50p 75M When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 220 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 100 minutes, 59.94p/50p 45M When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 340 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 160 minutes
- XAVC S
- [XAVC S 4K] 59.94p/50p 200M When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 85 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 40 minutes, 59.94p/50p 150M When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 110 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 55 minutes, [XAVC S HD] 59.94p/50p 50M When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 310 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 150 minutes, 59.94p/50p 25M When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 550 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 390 minutes
- XAVC S-I
- [XAVC S-I 4K] XAVC S-I 4K 59.94p/50p When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 25 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 10 minutes, [XAVC S-I HD] 59.94p/50p When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 75 minutes, When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 35 minutes
- PROXY AUDIO
- XAVC Proxy: AAC-LC, 128kbps, 2 channels
- PROXY VIDEO
- 1280 x 720 (Approx. 6Mbps), 1920 x 1080 (Approx. 9Mbps), 1920 x 1080 (Approx. 16Mbps)
- RAW Output
- HDMI: 4264 x 2408 (59.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p), 16bit
Other Video Function
- VIDEO FUNCTIONS
- Audio Level Display, Audio Rec Level, TC/UB, Creative Look, Gamma Display Assist, PAL/NTSC Selector
- SENSOR TYPE
- 35mm full frame (35.6 x 23.8 mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Approx. 10.2 megapixels (effective) for movies, Approx. 12.1 megapixels (effective) for Still images, Approx. 12.9 megapixels (total)
- [Movie] ISO 80-102400 equivalent (ISO numbers up to ISO 409600 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 80-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit), [Still image] ISO 80-102400 (ISO numbers up from ISO 40 to ISO 409600 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 80-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
- SHUTTER SPEED
- Movie: 1/8000 to 1/4 (1/3 steps), up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode) Still image: 1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb
Slow & Quick Motion
- XAVC HS
- XAVC HS 4K: [NTSC mode] 1fps, 2fps, 4fps, 8fps, 15fps, 30fps, 60fps, 120fps, [PAL mode] 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 6fps, 12fps, 25fps, 50fps, 100fps
- XAVC S
- XAVC S 4K: [NTSC mode] 1fps, 2fps, 4fps, 8fps, 15fps, 30fps, 60fps, 120fps, [PAL mode] 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 6fps, 12fps, 25fps, 50fps, 100fps, XAVC S HD: [NTSC mode] 1fps, 2fps, 4fps, 8fps, 15fps, 30fps, 60fps, 120fps, 240fps, [PAL mode] 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 6fps, 12fps, 25fps, 50fps, 100fps, 200fps
- XAVC S-I
- XAVC S-I 4K: [NTSC mode] 1fps, 2fps, 4fps, 8fps, 15fps, 30fps, 60fps, 120fps, [PAL mode] 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 6fps, 12fps, 25fps, 50fps, 100fps, XAVC S-I HD: [NTSC mode] 1fps, 2fps, 4fps, 8fps, 15fps, 30fps, 60fps, 120fps, 240fps, [PAL mode] 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 6fps, 12fps, 25fps, 50fps, 100fps, 200fps
- WHITE-BALANCE MODES
- Auto / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluorescent / Flash / Underwater / Color Temperature (2500 to 9900K) & color filter / Custom
- GAMMA CURVE
- Off / PP1-PP11, Parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, S-Cinetone, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3, HLG, HLG1-3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset
- 15+ stop (S-Log3)
- Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF / contrast-detection AF)
- FOCUS POINT
- [Movie] 627 points, [Still image] 35mm full frame: 759 points (phase-detection AF)
- SENSITIVITY RANGE
- EV-6 to EV20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- FOCUS MODE
- [Movie] AF-C, MF, [Still image] AF-A (Automatic AF), AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C (Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
- FOCUS AREA
- [Movie] Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot / Expanded Flexible Spot, [Still image] Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot / Expanded Flexible Spot / Tracking
- OTHER FOCUS FEATURES
- Eye AF ([Movie] Human (Right/Left Eye Select), ([Still image] Human (Right/Left Eye Select) / Animal,),Face detection (Face Priority in AF, Face Priority in Multi Metering, Regist. Faces Priority), [Movie] AF Subj. Shift Sensitivity, [Movie] AF Transition Speed, [Still image] Focus Magnifier (35mm full frame: 2.1x / 4.1x, APS-C: 1.5x / 3.0x)
- METERING SENSITIVITY
- EV-3 to EV20 (at ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- EXPOSURE MODES
- [Movie] Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) / Flexible Exp. Mode, [Still images] AUTO (iAuto), P, A, S, M
Recording (Still image)
- RECORDING FORMAT
- JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.32, MPF Baseline compliant), HEIF (MPEG-A MIAF compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 4.0 format compliant)
- IMAGE SIZE
- Image size [3:2] 35mm full frame L: 12M, M: 5.1M, S: 3.0M, APS-C L:5.1M, M: 3.0M, S: 1.3M, Image size [4:3] 35mm full frame L: 11M, M: 4.6M, S: 2.7M, APS-C L: 4.6M, M: 2.7M, S:1.1M Image size, [16:9] 35mm full frame L: 10M, M: 4.3M, S: 2.6M, APS-C L: 4.3M, M: 2.6M, S: 1.1M, Image size [1:1] 35mm full frame L: 8M, M: 3.4M, S: 2.0M, APS-C L: 3.4M, M: 2.0M, S: 0.8M
- PLAYBACK FUNCTIONS
- Index view, Folder selection (Date / Still / Movie), Photo capture, 4Ch audio monitoring, Auto Review (stills), Image orientation (stills), Protect (stills), Rating (stills), Display as Group (stills)
- AUDIO INPUT
- 3.5 mm Stereo minijack, XLR handle: [INPUT1][INPUT2] XLR/TRS-type 3-pin(female) (x2), line/mic/mic +48V selectable, Mic Reference -40 to -60 dBu / [INPUT3] 3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
- USB Type-C (x1, SuperSpeed USB 5Gbps (USB 3.2) compatible), Multi/Micro USB (x1)
- HEADPHONE OUTPUT
- Yes (3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
- SPEAKER OUTPUT
- Built-in, monaural
- HDMI OUTPUT
- HDMI jack (Type-A), YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit / RGB 8bit
- MULTI INTERFACE SHOE
- With Digital Audio Interface
- Bluetooth Standard Ver. 5.0 (2.4GHz band))
- MEDIA TYPE
- CFexpress Type A / SD card (x2), Simult. Rec, Sort, Auto Switch Media, Copy
- 7.5cm (3.0-type) type, approx. 1.44M dots, Opening Angle:Approx. 176 deg., Rotation Angle:Approx. 270 deg.
- BUILT-IN MICROPHONE
- Built-in, stereo
- FILE SYSTEM
- FAT12, 16, 32, exFAT
- ZOOM FUNCTION
- Zoom ring rotate, Clear Image Zoom ([Movie] Approx. 1.5x (4K), Approx. 2x (HD) [Still image] Approx. 2x ), Digital zoom ([Movie] 35mm full frame: approx. 4x, APS-C: approx. 4x, [Still image] 35mm full frame: L: approx. 4x, M: approx. 6.1x, S: approx. 8x, APS-C: L: approx. 4x, M:approx. 5.2x, S: approx. 8x), Smart zoom ([Still image] 35mm full frame: M: approx. 1.5x, S: approx. 2x, APS-C: M:approx. 1.3x, S: approx. 2x)
Still image function
- Mechanical shutter / Electronic shutter
- DRIVE MODES
- Single Shooting, Continuous shooting (Hi+/Hi/Mid/Lo selectable), Self-timer, Self-timer (Cont.), Bracket: Single, Bracket: Cont., White Balance bracket, DRO bracket
- CONTINUOUS SHOOTING SPEED
- Hi+: 10 fps, Hi: 8 fps, Mid: 6 fps, Lo: 3 fps
- NOISE REDUCTION
- Long exposure NR: On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 sec., High ISO NR: Normal / Low / Off
- FLASH CONTROL
- Sony α System Flash compatible with Multi Interface Shoe, attach the shoe adaptor for flash compatible with Auto-lock accessory shoe, Flash sync speed 1/250 sec.
- OTHER STILL IMAGE FUNCTION
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain, Silent Shooting, Anti-flicker Shoot
- Image Sensor-Shift mechanism with 5-axis compensation (Compensation depends on lens specifications)
- [Movie] Active / Standard / Off, [Still image] On / Off
- COMPENSATION EFFECT (STILL IMAGES)
- 5.5 stops (based on CIPA standard. Pitch/yaw shake only. With Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens mounted. Long exposure NR off.)
- CUSTOM FUNCTION
- Custom key settings, My Menu, My Dial Settings, Reg. Custom Shoot Set
- LENS COMPENSATION
- Peripheral Shading, Chromatic Aberration, Distortion
- SUPPORTED FORMAT
- IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
- FREQUENCY BAND
- 2.4GHz band/5GHz band
- NFC Forum Type 3 Tag compliant
- FTP Transfer
- Wired LAN (USB-LAN), USB Tethering, Wi-Fi
- SUPPLIED ACCESSORIES
- Accessory shoe cap, Accessory shoe kit, Battery Charger BC-QZ1, Body cap, Handle shoe cap, Power cord, Rechargeable Battery NP-FZ100, USB-A to USB-C cable (USB 3.2), XLR handle unit
Image sensor with blazingly fast readout speed
The back-illuminated full-frame Exmor R™ CMOS sensor boasts a blazingly fast data readout speed along with high sensitivity and wide dynamic range. An advanced colour filter array boosts colour reproduction accuracy, while focal plane phase-detection AF enables solid autofocus stability and excellent precision, all of which contribute to outstanding image quality.
High performance image-processing engine
The BIONZ XR™ image-processing engine is designed for high speed, minimising latency while providing impressive real-time processing capabilities. The engine performs real-time processing of AF, image recognition and image quality adjustments, while also handling data transfer, user interface and other camera operations.
High sensitivity, wide dynamic range
The full-frame sensor enables high sensitivity with low noise throughout the camera's range by optimising the sensor’s output. Capture clear motion even in low light conditions with an impressive ISO expanded range up to 409600. It has an extended dynamic range of 15+ stops, without blown highlights. Together, the camera's high sensitivity and wide dynamic range expand your flexibility in post-production.
4K High Frame Rate 120fps recording
You can record full-frame 4K (QFHD) at up to 120fps with autofocus thanks to the high-speed readout capabilities of the image sensor and the powerful BIONZ XR processor. Even at high frame rates, 4K (QFHD) images are captured using full-pixel readout without binning, for clear post-produced slow motion (up to 5x slower than real time). The high-precision AF even allows beautiful full-frame bokeh to be achieved during slow motion shooting.
Acclaimed cinematic colour with S-Cinetone™
The inclusion of Sony’s acclaimed S-Cinetone look, inherited from the development of the FX9, allows cinematic colour to be achieved directly in-camera. S-Cinetone is optimised for natural skin tones and mid-range colours, with gentle highlight roll-off, for impressive subject depiction even without post production grading.  Standard (Picture Profile OFF)  S-Cinetone (Picture Profile 11)
All-Intra internal recording
In addition to Long-GOP inter-frame compression, internal intra-frame (All-Intra) recording is supported. XAVC S-I recording compresses each frame independently at a high bitrate, up to 600Mbps, so is ideal for capturing complex motion, and allowing maximum flexibility and playback performance during post-production.  All-Intra (All-I)  Long-GOP  Group of Pictures
HEVC codec with high compression efficiency
XAVC HS format recording, using the MPEG-H HEVC/H.265 codec, roughly doubles the compression efficiency. Compared to a normal 4K XAVC S format, XAVC HS allows for detailed 10-bit video with 4:2:2 colour sampling at comparable or lower data rates, delivering even better image quality as well as manageable file sizes.
16-bit RAW data output
Facilitating improved image quality and more flexible and efficient editing in post production, the FX3 supports 16-bit RAW data output to an external recorder via the HDMI Type-A terminal. RAW video output is from a full-frame image sensor with 4264 x 2408 [16:9] resolution, to suit 4K (QFHD) or DCI-4K workflows, with a choice of frame rates (59.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p).
New S-Log shooting modes for optimized image quality
Three modes are provided for recording with the S-Log3 gamma curve. Cine EI, used in Sony’s high-end Cinema Line models, offers wide latitude and the highest possible image quality. Eine EI Quick simplifies setup by automatically switching the camera’s base ISO according to the selected Exposure Index (EI). And Flexible ISO provides the greatest flexibility for exposure settings. In addition, Sony’s s709 has been added to the available LUT presets.
Proxy recording for more efficient editing workflow
Low bit-rate HD proxy files can be recorded simultaneously with higher bit-rate formats such as XAVC S-I 4K, and these smaller proxy files can then be used for editing and previewing prior to final production delivery. This reduces computer load and allows faster and more efficient workflows. Proxy files can be captured in either 10-bit XAVC HS (1920 x 1080) or 8-bit XAVC S (1280 x 720) .
Expand your vision with Creative Look
Looks emulate pro monitoring and post-production tools inside the camera. The Creative Look presets are available in-camera, and each of these can be used as is, or further customised using individual parameter settings such as hue, colour depth, brightness, contrast, and sharpness. Fine adjustment of preset looks can be made according to the user's preference, and you can also register your favourite settings as a custom look.
10-bit HLG picture profile
An HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) HDR picture profile, complete with the wide-gamut BT.2020 colour space, can be used for direct HDR (HLG) playback on compatible TVs. The result is true-to-life imagery close to what the naked eye can see, with detailed shadows and highlights, less blackout and less whiteout, all without the need for colour grading. In particular, 10-bit recordings reproduce a level of fine gradation and detail for extraordinary realism.  High flexibility to fine-tune images as desired (colour grading required)  Instant high-quality image (colour grading not required)
Flexible exposure mode
Flexible Exposure Mode allows the Auto and Manual modes for iris, shutter speed and ISO to be set independently. The lock function, activated by a short press on the respective custom buttons, locks the related controls to prevent changes if the dial or wheel is accidentally moved. The frequently used iris and ISO can be controlled by the easily accessible front and rear dials as well as by the dial on the top panel.
Fast Hybrid AF for dependable focus during movie shooting
Fast Hybrid AF combines focal plane phase-detection AF with contrast-detection AF. This results in highly precise, smooth tracking of fast-moving subjects even over a wide range with a shallow depth of field. AF Transition Speed and AF Subject Shift Sensitivity parameters allow more flexible focus control, as demanded by professional users.
Fast, easy and reliable Real-time Tracking and Eye AF
Focus control is fast and intuitive, to ensure you have full creative control of the FX3’s powerful AF technology. Real-time Tracking greatly assists during solo shooting by analysing the subject's colour, patterns, and depth. When shooting people, Real-time Eye AF makes movie-making much easier, especially with gimbal-mounted shots and wherever you need to rely on AF.
Fast, easy touch focus control
Touch focus control allows you to precisely specify the point of focus simply by touching the LCD monitor. It's fast, easy, and intuitive to perform rack focusing through touch operation—ensuring you have full creative control of the FX3's powerful AF technology.
In-body optical image stabilisation for handheld shooting
Relying on a new high-precision stabilisation unit, gyro sensors, and optimised image stabilisation algorithms, the camera's Optical SteadyShot™ Active Mode provides precise optical image compensation, for outstanding results for 4K video recording , even while walking. With this unprecedented level of stabilisation it's possible to shoot with the camera only, taking advantage of the compact size and mobility.  Track of camera shake  Standard  Active
XLR adaptor and digital input for quality audio
The handle of the FX3 includes two independent full-size XLR connectors (XLR/TRS combo) to connect external professional microphones through a digital audio interface via the Multi Interface (MI) Shoe. Three recording formats can be selected, including 24-bit 4-channel.
HDMI Type-A output and monitoring options
With a durable and versatile HDMI Type-A jack, it is possible to simultaneously output video to the camera's LCD monitor, an HDMI-connected external recording or monitoring device.
Uninterrupted 4K 60p recording
For uninterrupted 4K 60p recording, the FX3 features an innovative heat dissipation structure, including a unique Sony Σ (sigma) shaped graphite-alloy heatsink. A complete internal redesign optimised airflow and placement of heatsinks. When required, a silent cooling fan provides ventilation for continuous recording at full resolution, with intake and exhaust air structurally isolated to maintain strong dust and moisture resistance.
REC lamps and highlighting during video recording
There is one tally light on the front and one on the back, and an LED-illuminated REC button on top that works with the tally lights. In addition, by displaying a red frame on the monitor screen during video recording, even if the screen is difficult to see with a rig or gimbal attached, you can immediately confirm recording status. Light operation can be set on or off for specific applications.
Customisable buttons for professional movie creators
The innovative mirrorless design provides mobility alongside uncompromising professional operability. Frequently used controls are positioned on the top surface, and the many customisable keys and menus deliver streamlined workflows in the field. It’s designed for professional results, even when shooting requires one-handed control or challenging shooting angles and lens handling.
Various zoom operations tailor your expression
The zoom lever placed at the top of the grip allows operation of power zoom lenses. Additionally, our innovative Clear Image Zoom provides for practical angle of view options even with minimal equipment. Zoom speeds can also be adjusted to suit everything from quick documentary re-framing to purposeful cinematic zooms.
Cage-free accessory mounting
Five 1/4-20 UNC mounting screw holes allow stable attachment of accessories directly to the camera body, without the need for a cage. Three additional mounting holes are also available on the included XLR handle. The result is a system optimised for incredible mobility and hand-held shooting as well as quick setup for fast-moving productions.
Touch-driven menu with workflow-based navigation
Responding to requests from pro photographers and videographers, the menu structure has been designed to make moviemakers’ work more efficient. Menu tabs are on the left side of the display, while parameter groups and parameters related to the selected tab appear on the right. Up to three levels can be displayed together, making the menu structure more clearly visible. Touch-responsive menu operations enable fast, intuitive control.
Flexible camera positioning with vari-angle monitor
The FX3 is equipped with a horizontally opening vari-angle LCD monitor that is rotatable for precise framing or interesting angles, regardless of whether you are shooting movies hand-held or gimbal mounted. The screen can even be rotated for direct viewing by the subject or when shooting dramatic low angle shots. The 3.0-type, approximately 1.44 million-dot large touch panel LCD has high visibility and clarity.
Two CFexpress Type A-compatible media slots
The camera's two media slots are compatible with CFexpress Type A cards as well as SDXC/SDHC cards supporting UHS-I and UHS-II speed classes. CFexpress Type A cards are the next standard for compact storage with fast write/read speeds suitable for 4K movie recording at high bit rates. Dual slots enable either relay or simultaneous recording.
Reliable, durable, and lightweight construction
For high durability and mobility, the main camera chassis, top, front, and rear covers are constructed from lightweight and robust magnesium alloy, with the lens mount secured by six screws for stable attachment of heavy lenses. A filter in front of the image sensor oscillates at an ultrasonic frequency of 70,000 cycles per second to remove dust from the sensor surface.
Reliable durability and weather resistance in tough situations
In response to feedback from working professionals, sealing has been applied to all body seams and around the battery and media compartments, terminal covers and chassis joints. All routes for dust and moisture entry have been examined to ensure reliable operation in challenging environments.
Power for professional length
For extended shooting sessions, the FX3 is compatible with large-capacity NP-FZ100 batteries. USB-PD (Power Delivery) support also enables fast charging or continuous shooting when connected to a compatible USB Type C® power supply or portable powerbank battery.
Data communications to support on-site workflow
Wireless 5GHz/2.4GHz LAN connections are supported, as are 1000BASE-T Ethernet network connections via a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor cable connected to the camera's USB Type C® terminal supporting SuperSpeed USB 5Gbps (USB 3.2). Remote shooting can be controlled from a PC with Sony's Imaging Edge Desktop™ application, or from a mobile device with Imaging Edge Mobile™. Wired and wireless FTP transfer for data files as well as remote shooting capabilities support professional workflows during shoots.
Metadata to facilitate editing with Catalyst
Sony’s Catalyst Browse and Prepare software are ideal production partners for the FX3. The camera records five types of metadata: LUTs, image stabilization, breathing, camera rotation and Shot Marks. These can be useful when previewing and preparing to edit in Sony’s free Catalyst Browse or purchased Catalyst Prepare software