Follow this procedure to make a backup of the registry.
WARNING: There is a risk of software corruption and data loss. When editing the registry, there is the risk of corrupting installed software or the operating system, which may result in data loss.
- Point to (but do not click) the lower-right or top-right corner of the screen, and then click to select the Search charm.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + Q key combination will also take you to the Search screen.
- In the Search screen, type regedit, and then press the Enter key.
NOTE: If a User Account Control prompt is displayed, click Yes.
- In the Registry Editor window, on the menu bar, click File.
- In the File menu, click Export.
- In the Export Registry File window, under Export range, click the All radio button.
- In the File name box, enter the name for the exported file and then click the Save button.
- In the Registry Editor window, click the X button at the upper-right to close the window.