- The screen flashes or flickers, what can I do?
- Android 9.0 Pie
Try these methods one after the other. Verify whether the problem was solved after each method, before trying the next one.
- Turn off your device and then turn it back on.
- If your device has a screen protection film, make sure it's specifically intended for your Xperia model. It is important that such a protective film has the holes for the proximity sensor and the front camera in the correct positions.
- Make sure that there are no air bubbles, dust or moisture under the screen protection film.
- Wipe the screen with a clean and dry cloth to make sure that your touchscreen is clean.
- Make sure that Developer options is disabled. If Developer options doesn't appear in the menu, it's already disabled.
- Use the Tests feature in the Support app to carry out a quick test to check the touchscreen and display functionality. The Tests feature can assess potential hardware or software issues on your Xperia device.
- Restart your Xperia device in Safe mode. Use Safe mode to check if any downloaded applications are causing the problem. In Safe mode, your device only starts with software and applications that were already installed when you purchased your device. If the device’s performance improves in Safe mode, it’s likely that one or more of your downloaded applications are affecting the device negatively.
- You can exit Safe mode and restart the device to uninstall the applications that you suspect are causing the problem.
- Check if there is a software update available for your Xperia device using Xperia Companion. Tap or click here to read more about how to update and find the latest software version.
- If you can access the device menus, perform a factory data reset. Note! A reset will delete all personal content saved on the internal memory of your device. Back up data that you want to keep. Content on an external SD card is kept.
- If you can't access the device menus, perform a software repair using Xperia Companion. Note! All data in the internal memory is overwritten during a software repair. Content on an external SD card is kept.
- If the screen still flashes or flickers, contact us.
To disable Developer options
- Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options.
- Tap the switch beside On to turn the feature off.
To run a touchscreen and display test
- On the Tests tab, scroll down and tap Touchscreen, then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Repeat the procedure, but this time select Display in step 2.
To enable Safe mode
- While the device is powered on, press and hold down the power key.
- In the pop-up menu, touch and hold Power off until the Reboot to safe mode message appears.
- Tap OK to restart in Safe mode.
To exit Safe mode
- When in Safe mode, restart the phone.
To perform a factory data reset
- Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Erase all data (factory reset) > RESET PHONE.
- If required, draw your screen unlock pattern or enter your screen unlock password or PIN to continue.
- Tap ERASE EVERYTHING.
Note! When you perform a factory data reset, you erase all personal data stored on the internal storage of your Xperia device. Make sure that you always back up data stored on the internal storage that you want to keep before performing a factory data reset. Photos, videos, music and documents stored on the SD card do not get erased during a factory data reset.
To perform a software repair using a computer
- Computer: If it is not already installed, download and install the Xperia Companion application from http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperia-companion/.
- Open the Xperia Companion application.
- Connect your Xperia device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Xperia device: When prompted by the Allow access? message, tap ALLOW.
- Computer: After a few moments, the Xperia Companion application detects your device, then click Software repair on the Xperia Companion home screen.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Tip: If you can’t turn off your device, before performing a software repair, force it to shut down. To shut down, press and hold down the power key and the volume up key simultaneously until the device emits three vibrations.