This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and Improvements from the latest update
- Improves general performance of the TV
- Resolves an issue where TV freezes after update
Previous Benefits and Improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.The following features/issues will be added, improved or resolved after updating to Android™ 8.0 Oreo™:
- Introduces a new Home screen menu
- Relocated “On Timer” icon (top right-hand side) on the home screen menu
- Introduces Google Tours (tutorial)
- Introduces a redesigned Initial Setup menu
- Introduces a redesigned Content Bar or TV Menu Bar
- Introduces software update benefits list (preview window)
- Introduces Accessibility Shortcut (On/Off switch)
- Introduces new keyboard layout and functionality
- Introduces the option to launch App View/Sony Select directly from the remote control (using the APPS button)
- Improved Assistant search function for broadcast content
- Improved country and region settings: descriptions have been added to some languages in the Language settings menu
- Improved user experience for the Video, Music and Photo apps
- Improved Set-top box key support (Guide/Title List key)
- Improves behaviour of externally connected devices when TV is in standby
- Resolves Wi-Fi connection issue after software update
- PlayMemories Online
- IPv6 setup (ON/OFF) setting
- Wi-Fi Direct standby mode
- Resolves picture noise (dark solarisation) in Netflix Dolby Vision content
- Improved compatibility with the Home Theatre Control app
- Improves Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) picture brightness for Vivid mode
- Improves Lip Sync for X78F, X85F and X83F series
- Dolby Vision content is supported for video streaming apps/services installed on the TV such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix*
- Dolby Vision support for HDMI*
*Dolby Vision is only available for selected Sony TVs (X90xxF and A8F Series). To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision. For more information, please contact the app/service provider. In addition, after the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of an update to a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.
- Distribution of Amazon Video app from Google Play store
- Improves picture quality of HDR content (Only applicable for A8F Series)
- Amazon Video logo change
- Introduces the ability to add new apps to "My Apps" on the TV menu bar
- Resolve an issue where "Set up your TV with Android" gets stuck in "Receiving account and Internet information" screen
- Remove Virtual Tuner from TV Menu Bar
- Remove Football mode function
- Remove DLNA Video in the TV menu
- Remove 500px application
- Improved compatibility with the Home Theatre Control app
- Improves Lip Sync for X90E and X85E series
- Adds support for Samba TV (Only applicable for Australia)
- Updates the YouTube, Gracenote and Web Browser app logos
- Change parental control to meet Thailand national specification
- Removes the Media share functionality from a smartphone (MTP function)
- Removes the PhotoShare Plus function
- Removes the marking functionality on programme guide/Content Bar
- Removes Indian languages (Asamiya, Oria)
- Dolby Vision content is supported for video streaming apps/services installed on the TV such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix (Z9D, X9500E, X9400E, X9300E, A1 only)*
- Dolby Vision support for HDMI (Z9D, X9500E, X9400E, X9300E, A1 only)*
*To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision. For more information, please contact the app/service provider. In addition, after the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of an update to a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.
- Voice search UI has changed
- You can search content while viewing the screen. Press the [↑] on the remote control to show all the search results. Then scroll through the categories using the directional buttons.
- Improvement of Opera Apps performance
- Amazon Video logo change
- Update of voice recognition language to integrate with TV language
- Resolves an issue where Multiple Horizontal Lines/Bands appearing which is related to local dimming function
- Resolves an issue where short beeping sound can be heard after changing channel (PCM→Dolby digital (AC3) on STB)
- Resolves an issue where TV goes to 8X blinking when starting content from PS4 PRO
- Resolves an issue where Panel Refresh Pop Up is repeatedly displayed
- Resolves an issue where distorted audio is output through subwoofer after RC on from standby
- Resolves an issue where assistant (Voice) key does not work after Initial Setup
- Resolves an issue where HDMI no picture and no sound by OTP On
- Resolves an issue where TV does not change input of AMP(TV) when Source change to TV Tuner
- Resolves an issue where Video freeze and lipsync off on "Amazon Prime" playback
- Resolves an issue where Audio on TV Speaker echoes when Bluetooth headphone is connected
- Introduces How-to videos in the BRAVIA Recommendations shelf
- Improves TV response time when using the remote control
- Resolves YouTube 4K playback issue (2,560 x 1,440 resolution or higher)
- Resolves an issue where "No operation shutdown" dialog box cannot be closed when using the VOL+/- buttons
- Resolves an issue where the TV turns on by itself from standby mode
- Removal of Twitter functions (Social Viewing)
- Change of sound volume when playback AAC content for Shop front demo mode
- Change Idle TV standby to meet UAE Eco label regulation
- Performance improvement: slow volume bar, etc.
- Upgrade to Android Nougat
- Picture-in-picture during using an app
- Expanded support for Hybrid Log-Gamma HDR content
- Using voice search with the browser
- Voice search for Serial AbTak (Only in India)
- Improved the Settings screen
- Add multiple Google accounts to your TV
- Only for use with TV sold in Asia Pacific. Not all models are sold in all countries.
Check the Software version
Your software may already be up to date. If you're not sure, it's easy to check which version of software you have by following these instructions:
- Press the [HELP] button on the remote.
- On the TV screen, the software version number is shown below the model name.
- Model: KD- / KE- / XBR-xxxxxxxx
- Software version: PKG-xxxxxxxx
If the version number is "PKG6.6555.xxxx" or higher, you already have the most recent software version and updating is not required.
There are 2 ways to update the firmware on your BRAVIA TV:
- Using the "Automatic software download" function (easy)
NOTE: Your TV may indicate the "Software is up to date" even if the newer version is not installed. The updates for Automatic software downloads are staggered releases and may not be immediately available. Please try again later. If you prefer to update now, follow the instructions to download and install the software update using the USB flash drive method.
- Using a USB flash drive
Using the "Automatic software download" function (easy):Sony provides software updates in order to enhance functionalities and provide users with the latest TV experience. The easiest way to receive software updates is to use the "Automatic software download". This setting is enabled by default.
If you have enabled "Automatic software download" below, you will automatically receive a notification to update your TV.
- Press the [HELP] button on the remote.
- Select [System software update].
- Select [Automatic software download].
The new firmware update will be rolling out gradually to all Internet-connected TVs over the weeks following its release.
IMPORTANT: The following "System Requirements," "File Info," "Download" and "Install," sections relate to the USB flash drive update procedure. You can ignore them if you completed the update using the "Automatic software download" feature.
For other FAQs about Troubleshooting, please see the "Questions and Answers" on the Sony Support Site.
Using a USB flash drive:
You can also update the software by using a USB flash drive. If an Internet connection is not set up on your TV, or you don’t want to wait for the update via "Automatic software download" function, try to download and update using a USB flash drive as instructed below.
What You Need
- a computer with access to the Internet
- a USB flash drive
* You can update your TV even if there are other files in the USB flash drive.
- Firmware update to v6.6555 for TV
Zip File Name
- 1 867 468 770 bytes
- Read the instructions carefully or you could end up causing the TV to become unresponsive or require a repair.
- Do not turn off the TV or disconnect it from power while it's updating.
- Do not press any buttons, except the ones mentioned in the instructions.
- Stop any recording before you start the firmware update (USB HDD recording models only).
How to download the Updater:
Before you install the update, you'll need to download it from the Internet and save it to a USB flash drive.
- Download the update file to your PC.
- Click the [Download] button on the top of this page, then read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Click the [Download] button on the bottom of the page to download the update file on your PC.
- Verify the downloaded file name and size.
- Go to the directory where the file was downloaded.
- Verify that the size of the "sony_dtvota_2016_1606555100_paa_auth.zip" file is "1 867 468 770" bytes.
NOTE: For Windows PC, verify the "Size" instead of "Size on disk" on the Properties screen.
- Extract the downloaded file.
NOTE: After you extracted the downloaded file, you will find the file "sony_dtv0FA60A0AA0AA_00004200_16065551000257.pkg".
- Insert the USB flash drive into your PC.
- Copy or drag and drop the file "sony_dtv0FA60A0AA0AA_00004200_16065551000257.pkg" to the root directory of your USB device.
NOTE: The "root directory" is the first or top-most directory of the device, which contains all the other folders.
- Remove the USB flash drive from your computer and continue to the next section.
Step 1: Install the update
Once you've downloaded the update file and prepared your USB device, you can install it on your TV. The process can take up to 30 minutes and during the installation your TV will turn off before turning itself back on. Please follow the simple steps below:
- Turn on the TV.
- Make sure that no USB devices are inserted into your TV.
- Insert your USB flash drive containing the file "sony_dtv0FA60A0AA0AA_00004200_16065551000257.pkg" into a USB port of the TV set.
NOTE: Any USB slot can be used if the TV has multiple USB ports.
- Once the USB flash drive has been detected, a series of different messages will appear on the TV set. Follow the on screen instructions.
NOTE: If the messages do not appear automatically, try turning the TV off and on with the remote control.
- When the file is finished copying from the USB flash drive, the update process will begin, the POWER indicator on the TV will begin flashing white, and the update progress screen is displayed on the TV.
- After several minutes, the TV will turn off and then turn back on to complete the update.
WARNING: During the software installation process, please do not:
- Remove the USB device
- Turn off the TV
- Disconnect the TV from the power supply
- When the software update is complete, a message appears on the TV indicating the software update is complete.
- Carefully remove the USB device from the USB slot.
Step 2: Check that the update was successful
Check the current software version to confirm that the update has successfully been installed.
- If the version number is "PKG6.6555.xxxx", the software update was successful.
- If the version number isn't "PKG6.6555.xxxx", download and install the update again.
Questions & Answers
- Will my personal settings be deleted after the update?
No, all your personal settings will be kept.
- Can I install an older version of the software?
No. To ensure that your TV remains at optimum performance, the installation of an older software version is not possible. The latest software version contains all the benefits and improvements of previous versions.
- Is it normal for the TV to turn off during the update process?
Yes, it's normal for the TV to restart during the update process. It will take longer for the TV to restart while installing the new software.
What to do if you have problems updating your TV firmware
If either message "An error occurred during the software update" or "Software cannot be updated using this USB device" is displayed on the TV screen, please proceed to the following procedures for a possible solution:
- Turn off the TV by pressing the [POWER] button on the TV set.
- Press the [POWER] button again and proceed with the installation process again.
If the message "No newer version of the TV software was found" is displayed on the TV screen, your TV already has the newest software version installed, so you don't need to update it.NOTE: If you are trying to update the software using a USB flash drive, check the followings.
- Make sure your USB flash drive is in good working order.
- The drive must be formatted in FAT16, FAT32, exFAT or NTFS.
- The update can fail even when using a USB flash drive that meets the above conditions, depending on the size and directory structure of other files on the drive. If the update does fail, delete other files and try again with only the update file saved in the USB flash drive. If the update still fails, format the USB flash drive to FAT32 and try again.
For other FAQs about Troubleshooting, please see the "Questions and Answers" section on the Sony Support Site.