Follow these steps to detect and repair hard drive errors using the Check Disk utility.
- Open the File Explorer .
- In the File Explorer window, right-click the hard drive you wish to check for errors, and then click to select Properties.
- In the Local Disk Properties window, click the Tools tab.
- On the Tools tab, in the Error checking box, click the Check button.
- In the Error Checking Local Disk window, click Scan drive.
NOTE: The duration of the test can vary according to the size of the hard drive examined and may require anywhere from several minutes to several hours to complete.
- Once the test is complete, in the Error Checking Local Disk window, whether error were found or not, click the Close button.
- If errors were found, at the Repair this drive screen, click Repair drive.
- At the Windows cant repair the drive while it is in use prompt, click Repair on next restart.
NOTE: The Repair operation will be performed automatically when the system restarts.