IMPORTANT: This article only applies to specific products (Google TVs and Android TVs) and/or operating systems. Please check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
- You can only download apps that are compatible with TVs. They may differ from apps for smartphones/tablets. Google Play on the Android TVs, or Search for apps on the Google TVs, only display apps that are supported by the TV. To see if apps are or can be installed on the TV, refer to the What apps are available for my TV? article.
- An Internet connection and Google Account are required to install apps.
- If you do not have a Google Account or want to create a shared account, create a new account by accessing the Google homepage. We recommend that you create a Google Account on a computer or mobile device.
- About paid apps: There are free apps and paid apps. To purchase a paid app, a prepaid Google Play gift card code or credit card information is required. You can purchase a Google Play gift card from various retailers.
- The screenshots provided here are for reference only. The actual screen might differ slightly according to your country, region, model or firmware version.
Select Your TV type.
Find out how to install and uninstall apps on your Google TV by following these easy steps.
Tip: Learn how to turn captions on or off when watching Internet videos from YouTube
You can install the app in the following ways:
- Using the Apps tab: Select your favorite apps which are organized by category in the Apps tab and install them.
- Using the voice search function: If you want to install an app by using a search function, search by voice by pressing the Google Assistant (or MIC) button on your remote control and install it.
- Using the search function with the on-screen keyboard:
- On the remote control, press the HOME / (HOME) button.
- On the Home screen, select Search, and then select the input field and use the on-screen keyboard.
- You can also search the app you want to install from Search for apps under the Apps tab on the Home menu.
- The Google Play Store app is not displayed on the Home menu.
- Select an app from the search results to install that app.
- On the remote control, press the HOME button.
- Select the Google Play Store app in the Apps category.
Note for Android™ 8.0 and some Android 9 models: If Google Play Store is not in the Apps category, select Apps and then select Google Play Store or Get more apps.
You will then be taken to Google's applications store: Google Play, where you can browse for applications, and download and install them on your TV.
- In the Google Play Store screen, use the navigation buttons of the TV remote control and select the Search icon.
Note: If you do not find the Search icon, press the Up arrow button on the remote control once, then the Search icon will display on the screen.
The input field will be displayed on the upper side of the screen. Use the microphone on the remote control or the on-screen keyboard on the TV to search the name of the app that you want to install.
From the search results, select the app that you wish to install, and then select Install.
Related article: If you want to remove any applications on the TV, refer to the How do I uninstall applications on the Google TV or Android TV? article.