IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems.
Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
- Although your Sony device can be connected to the Internet with wireless connection, to troubleshoot video buffering issues, refer to: Internet streaming videos stop, pause, buffer, or the picture and sound quality is poor.
- This issue also can occur if you are connected to an unsecured wireless network, such as a Guest network. If you are using a wireless connection, make sure you are connected to a secured Wi-Fi network (indicated by a lock icon) in the Wi-Fi settings list.
- Sony recommends you to ask the router manufacturer whether your router setting is the most optimal, as the router setting is different per router.
Performing a connection diagnosis
If your Sony device has the connection diagnosis function, perform the connection diagnosis to check if the issue is a wireless or Internet issue.
- When there is no issue with the wireless LAN connection, but there is an issue with the Internet connection, refer to: The Internet connection appears as Failed but the Wireless Network setting from the router is OK.
- When there is an issue with the wireless LAN connection or you cannot perform the connection diagnosis, check the following:
- Try unplugging the power cord of the router from the electrical outlet for 30 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the outlet and wait until the flashing lights indicate that the router has completely restarted.
Connect a network device other than Sony devices by wireless LAN to check whether it can be connected to the router.
- If other devices cannot be connected by wireless LAN: The wireless router may be defective.
- If other devices can be connected: Just in case, open the network setting screen of the Sony device, check if the SSID of the device is the same as the other connected devices. If the SSID of the connected device is different, check if the SSID is proper.
In many cases, SSID and the security key are described on the router main unit or included document.
- If the SSID of the router is not displayed on the Sony device, check whether the SSID stealth function is enabled.
- Depending on the router, you can use more than one SSID. In this case, change the SSID of the access point and check if the issue has improved.
- For a security key, upper case and lower case are distinguished. Input the security key correctly.
Examples of mistakes:
- I (capital i), l (small L) and 1 (number one)
- 0 (number zero) and O (capital o)
- d (small D) and b (small B)
- 9 (number nine) and q (small Q)
- If your server and component devices are located in a different room from where you have installed your wireless LAN router/access point, the wireless communication bandwidth could be too low or weak due to poor signal strength. Try to install your server, component devices and wireless LAN router/access point in an area of your home that is centrally located, if at all possible. If you move the system close to the router, you will increase the strength and the speed of the signal. If moving the location of the router is not possible, you can try using a wireless repeater/extender.
- Avoid placing the router near metallic objects, objects containing water, and objects that contain moist such as books, It is recommended to place the router at a height of more than 1 m from the floor. Concrete, marble, and brick will also negatively affect the router.
- If the router is connected to other devices, there is a possibility that the communication speed has become slow due to the influence of other devices. Turn off the other devices or turn the wireless LAN to OFF, then check if the issue has improved.
- If the router has an antenna, adjust the orientation of the antenna. Radio waves of a general router’s antenna will keep spreading on a concentric circle around the antenna. For details, refer to the manual supplied with the router.
- If you cannot connect to your router, check if MAC address filtering is set to on. If MAC address filtering is on, set it to off or check whether you can access a permitted device after you register its Mac address.
- When the wireless LAN of the router corresponds to multiple frequencies, check if the issue is improved by modifying the connected frequency.
NOTE: Not all Sony devices are able to connect to a 5 GHz wireless connection. If a 5 GHz connection is being used, check the specifications. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- If you use a 5 GHz wireless LAN connection: As this connection is susceptible to obstacles such as a wall, if you cannot change frequencies, install a Router and device in a close location with a good outlook then make sure to improve the issue.
- If you use a 2.4 GHz wireless LAN connection: If devices using 2.4 GHz wireless LAN, such as Bluetooth devices, cordless telephones, baby monitors, microwave ranges, etc. are used near the Sony device, there is a possibility that radio waves have become weak due to interference from other devices. Try keeping them away from these devices or not using them to see whether the issue will be improved.
- Try to change the channel of your router. Due to interference from other wireless LAN networks, the current channel on your home network could become unstable; however, another channel may be clear and free of interference. Try changing the Wi-Fi channel setting on your wireless LAN router/access point to see if the strength of your signal improves. Since the configuration on each router is different, if assistance is needed on how to change this setting, refer to the manual that came supplied with your router or visit the manufacturers website.
NOTE: The following tools can be used to inspect your wireless network and surrounding networks.
- The inSSIDer tool will allow you to scan all surrounding wireless networks and determine the wireless channels they are operating on. It will also allow you to change the wireless channel frequency to one that is currently not used. This tool can be found at the Metageek website.
- The Wifi Analyzer tool for Android devices turns your Android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer. This app is available through the Google Play store app on your Android smartphone.
Wireless communication issues may occur when using your wireless LAN router/access point if you have not updated the router to the latest firmware and/or software upgrade. Make sure that your router/access point has been upgraded to the most recent firmware upgrade, as these upgrades may improve and increase the performance of your router.
If you continue to experience network issues after following all of the steps above, we recommend using a wired LAN connection from your modem or router.