IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
The Noise Canceling function is most effective for low frequency (bass) noise, such noise made by vehicles or air conditioning, but not all sounds can be completely canceled.
Follow these steps if you feel that noise canceling function is insufficient:
Make sure that the Noise Canceling function is turned on.
Follow one of these steps to make sure that the Noise Canceling function is turned on.
- Place both units of the headset in the charging case, leave them for a few seconds, and then remove them from the charging case.
Once removed from the charging case, the Noise Canceling function will be on.
- While wearing the headset, tap the L side touch sensor until you hear the voice guidance "Noise canceling".
In the default setting, you can switch the Noise Canceling function and Ambient Sound by tapping the L side touch sensor.
- If the headset does not switch to the Noise Canceling function, try tapping once, more quickly (about 0.3 second). If the contact time between the touch sensor and finger is too long, the mode switches to Quick Attention mode and it does not switch to the Noise Canceling function.
If you follow the appropriate procedure and cannot switch the Noise Canceling function by tapping the L side touch sensor, the assignment of the touch sensor or button may be set to another function, such as Google Assistant. If this is the case, change the setting back to the Noise Canceling function using the Sony | Headphones Connect app.
Related FAQ: The Google Assistant unintentionally starts when I try to switch the Noise Canceling and Ambient Sound Mode functions.
- Change the settings using the Sony | Headphones Connect app.
Replace the earbuds.
The noise canceling effect is ineffective if the earpiece is not fit in your ear correctly. Select and attach the earbud that allows you to hear the least ambient sounds to each unit. When changing the earbuds, try the earbud sizes in order from the larger sizes to the smaller sizes.
NOTE: The best size earbuds may be different for left and right ear.
Adjust the headset position to fit your ears.
Make sure that Adaptive Sound Control is turned off.
Check the Adaptive Sound Control settings on the Sony | Headphones Connect app. If Adaptive Sound Control is on, the effects of noise canceling may become weak.
For how to set the Adaptive Sound Control to off, refer to the following image.
NOTE: The image below is an example of WF-1000XM3.
- Adaptive Sound Control: ON
- Adaptive Sound Control: OFF
NOTE: Adaptive Sound Control is a function that detects your actions through an app and automatically switches settings of the Ambient Sound Control. Because of this function, the Noise Canceling function may change to the Adaptive Sound Control function, and you may feel that the noise canceling effect is not sufficient.