IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
What is Imaging Edge Webcam Software?
The Imaging Edge Webcam software is an application that makes it possible to use a Sony camera as a high-quality webcam!
This way, you can use your camera as a high-definition webcam for live streaming while taking advantage of its unique and diverse features.
Before you start
- What cameras are supported?
- Supported operating systems:
- Windows 11, Windows 10 64-bit
PC with Intel or AMD processor (The software will not run on PCs based on ARM processors)
- macOS 10.14, macOS 10.15, macOS 11, macOS 12
For an OS other than the above
- Windows 11, Windows 10 64-bit
How to install the Imaging Edge Webcam software?
You can view this video tutorial or skip to the steps below.
Installation & Settings
- Download and install the Imaging Edge Webcam software on your computer.
- Restart the computer (for the first time only).
- Turn on your camera.
- On the camera, enable the following settings
Note: The displayed terms may differ depending on the camera.
How to set up your camera
- Connect the camera and computer using the supplied USB cable.
Note: If a USB cable is not supplied with your camera, use a commercially available USB cable.
Note: It is not possible to connect to the camera when the Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote) software is active. Quit the Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote) software first and then connect to the camera.
When using the ILCE-7M2, ILCE-7S, ILCE-7SM2, ILCE-7RM2, ILCE-5100, ILCE-6300, ILCA-68, ILCA-77M2, DSC-RX1RM2, DSC-RX10M2, DSC-RX10M3, DSC-RX100M4, or DSC-RX100M5
Before proceeding to step 6 below, first set the camera to (Auto Mode). After launching the livestreaming/web conferencing service and starting the video, change to movie mode.
- When using a camera other than those listed above
- Set the camera to movie mode.
- If you use the camera with the Cinematic Vlog setting or the XAVC S-I DCI 4K setting, you cannot use Imaging Edge Webcam in these modes. Use a setting other than Cinematic Vlog or XAVC S-I DCI 4K.
- Launch the live distribution/web conferencing service on your personal computer.
Note: You may have to install additional software or register an account beforehand.
- Change the appropriate setting in the live distribution/web conferencing service to switch the camera to be used from the PC’s built-in camera to the Sony camera.
Note: The setting procedure will differ depending on the service you are using. For detailed setting instructions, refer to the user’s manual or help page of the service.
Useful tips when using the Imaging Edge Webcam Software
- The aspect ratio is automatically set to 16:9.
- We recommend that you disable the sleep mode of your PC when using the Imaging Edge Webcam.
- When using the Imaging Edge Webcam, do not unplug the USB cable of any USB devices such as a camera or headset, and avoid operations such as releasing the shutter or changing camera settings such as drive mode.
When using the Windows version
If the live view screen is interrupted by such operations, you may be able to recover by performing the following operations.
- Turn off the video of the web conferencing system.
- From the Windows Start menu, select Imaging Edge Webcam → USB Reset.
- Turn off the camera, and then turn it on again.
- Restart the video of the web conferencing system.
- If your camera has USB Power Supply as an option, we recommend that you set it to On. If you will be using Imaging Edge Webcam for an extended period of time, we recommend that you make sure the camera is fully charged beforehand.
- The resolution is 1,024 × 576 pixels.
- If you are using an OS other than Windows 10 64-bit, macOS 10.13 - 10.15 and macOS 11 or you would like to improve the resolution/framerate, refer to the following article, which explains how to livestream without using the Imaging Edge Webcam software: https://alphauniverse.com/stories/how-to-use-your-sony-alpha-and-rx-cameras-for-livestreaming/ (English Only).
- If the Sony Camera (Imaging Edge) selection doesn't appear in the camera settings of the web conferencing system or the live view screen isn't displayed even after the camera setting is switched, the web conferencing system may not be compatible. If the web conferencing system is available in both an app version and a browser version, try both versions.
- If the movement isn't smooth during livestreaming, then switch to the (Auto Mode) instead of movie mode.
- When using the camera for an extended period of time, the camera will automatically shut down when the temperature rises beyond a certain point. For periods of extended use:
- Use the (Auto Mode).
- If your camera has the Auto Power OFF Temp. setting, select the High setting to extend the length of time you can use the camera continuously.
- If you're using multiple web conferencing systems, be sure to have only one system utilizing the Sony Camera (Imaging Edge) setting for video.
Other tips will vary depending on the operating system. Select your OS for more information.