Some Sony cameras can be used as webcams using the Imaging Edge Webcam software. If your camera is not supported by the Imaging Edge Webcam software, you may be able to use commercially available equipment and software.
The following example shows how to connect a camera equipped with an HDMI port to a computer for use as a webcam.
Before you start
Items needed to setup live streaming:
- A camcorder that has an Auto Shut Off (A.Shut Off) Power Save option in the menu and an HDMI output port. Check your camcorder's help guide to see if your camcorder has them.
- Set the Auto Shut Off feature to either Off or Never to prevent it from automatically turning off while live streaming
- If your camcorder does not have this option, then it may not function for live streaming as the unit may automatically shut down after a short period of time
- HDMI to USB video capture device (third-party product required)
- HDMI cable. The camcorder model and your video capture device will determine the type of HDMI cable needed for connectivity
- USB cable
- A computer with streaming software installed
- Sony does make some video capture devices and software
- Make sure that you have an HDMI to USB video capture device and not a USB to HDMI adapter (for an external monitor)
Steps to setup live streaming
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the camcorder HDMI Out port and the other end of the cable to the video capture device HDMI In port.
- Connect the video capture device to the computer using the USB cable.
- If the video capture device has a POWER switch, move it to the CAMERA position.
- Open the video/audio settings of the capture/streaming software on your computer.
- The software should recognize the video capture device and your camcorder as a webcam.
- You should then see the live stream from the camcorder on your computer display.
- If you use an external microphone, be sure to select the proper device in the audio settings of your computer.
- If the camcorder menu appears on the screen, then turn off the display: Navigate to HDMI Settings → HDMI Info. Display → Off.